Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Interview with photographer Andy Mellor



About you:
I am a photographer living in the Northwest of England.

What is it that attracts you the most of what you have around you?  
The simple stories that can be found in everyday life, to try and rationalize these stories and make sense of the reason why.

Describe some of your projects.
I think to describe individual projects would be difficult but within my projects I like to explore the landscape particularly the constructs surrounding landscape. The landscape has a huge impact on society without there being the full realization of its impact on an individual. Social and ploitcial constructs are set up surrounding the land we inhabit and I like to try and explore with photography the impact that it has on society.

Your main concept.
My photography explores natural and man-made environments, and the interaction between the two with concerns over how we use the landscape and the social and political issues surrounding it. Often exploring change and human impact. I am drawn to ordinary places, seeking to find interest in everyday spaces.

Tell us about your experience as a photographer what did it give you?
When I started in photography I shot anything and everything without any rhyme or reason it was only after studying for my degree did I start to understand the power of photography. It was then that I started to realize that photography was a tool I could use to explore subjects that interested or concerned me.

Three adjectives to describe yourself.
Determined, Stubborn, Creative

A film, a book and a song
Black Snake Moan – Directed by Craig Brewer
Ansel Adams Photography Series
Walking Blues – Robert Johnson 

What camera do you use?  lense?
I have many cameras from digital to polaroids and at one point or another I use them all but I mainly use a Yashicamat medium format camera. I have grown fond of cameras that have limited functionality.

Tell about exhibition if you‘ve had any.
I have been in a few group exhibitions and at the end of June I am going to be in an exhibition called Develop North that is hosted by Grays School of Art who have also partnered with Aberdeen City Council and Metro Imaging.

Do you sell prints? How do you make it and where can someone buy?
Yes I do you can contact me at andy@andrewmellorphotography.com. All my prints are printed at a pro lab.

What was your most big success? 
I think success is hard to measure I just feel lucky to have had my work featured and exhibited in some great places.

Favourite photographer.
Just one……. It would have to be Joel Sternfeld or Stephen Shore. I am also a big fan of Christian Pattersons  and Daniel Sheas work.

What is your occupation, job, interest besides photography. describe it.
I am a photographer. I also enjoy woodworking, cooking and playing guitar.    
    
Which advice would you give someone who wants to become a (professional) photographer?
Only shoot the subjects and stories that your passionate about. If you are not passionate about your subject then it will show in the work.

Do you work as photographer? 
Yes         
                                 
Your plans.
Only to keep producing work.

http://www.andrewmellorphotography.com/






























No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...